Table of content:
This term Yoga came from the Sanskrit word ‘Yuj’ which means to ‘join’ or ‘union’. Yoga can help you get mastery on your mind and body so you can attain a state of balance. It is the art of union between you and everything else to live as one.
The actual history of Yoga is unknown however based on the available findings of the modern researchers, the science of yoga is considered to originate about 5000-10000 years ago in the Indian region. Yogic legends consider Shiva as the first yogi, and thus also called him Adiyogi. The oldest written evidence about Yoga can be found in the Rig-Veda, which dates back to 3000 B.C.
In general yoga is an exercise in which you move your body parts in some defined ways to make them healthy and flexible and we do these moves in sync with our breathing pattern so as to maximize the benefits.
Based on different techniques introduced by today’s yoga masters, yoga has evolved into many types.
Few Popular type of yoga practices:
- Hatha Yoga
- Kundalini Yoga
- Hot/Bikram Yoga
- Vinayasa Yoga
- Lyengar Yoga
Some Common Health Benefits of Yoga:
Based on type of practice, yoga can have health benefits of different kind, but still the common health benefits of major yoga practices can be divided into following categories;
- Physical Benefits: Many yoga practices involves stretching of different body parts, if these are performed in the right way it could help you get relieve of many chronic pain (most commonly back pain).
Following are some general physical health benefits of yoga
- Increased Body Flexibility
- Controlled body weight
- Improved Muscle strength
- Improved bone health
- Improves overall respiratory system
- Improves posture
- Improved energy level and strength
- Internal Health Benefits: There are many internal health benefits of yoga practices which you may not be able to see(not physical in nature) but can feel within. Following are some such common benefits of yoga
- Improved digestive health
- Increased blood flow
- Controlled(lower) blood pressure and heart rate
- Better immunity
- Mental health benefits: As mentioned in definition Yoga is the union between you and everything else, and thus it also improves the connection between your mind and the body. Following is the general benefits of yoga practices on our mind
- Improved Focus and balance
- Uplifts the mood
- Lowers the stress level
- Helps to fight depression
- Improve memory( also makes us more creative)
- Better sleep
The list of health benefits of Yoga can be endless. Now as Yoga is becoming popular day by day in western world too, more researches are going on to find its health benefits in different illnesses, and yoga seems to have the solution for most of our health problems.