The City of Worcester is the heart of Central Massachusetts and the Commonwealth, and a wonderful place to work. Home to more than 200,000 residents and thriving businesses, renowned higher educational institutions, diverse cultural amenities and a vibrant social scene, Worcester is a leading New England city and a great place to live and work. Join our efforts to provide unparalleled professional services to our community. Be a part of a shared mission to build strong neighborhoods, create a vibrant, thriving city, maintain a sound fiscal government and provide opportunities for all. We offer a competitive pay as well as a comprehensive benefit package. This is your opportunity to do well by doing good!
Some of these benefits include the following:
The City of Worcester offers a wide array of insurance options, including health, dental, vision and life, and provides a 75% match on health care plans.
- Employees are eligible on their first day of employment – something not offered by many employers.
- Offers a choice of health insurance, with either broad or focused plans to fit everyone’s needs; whether individual or family.
- Employees may purchase supplemental universal life policies, term life policies or a variety of short-term and / or long-term disability plans.
- Benefit premiums are deducted from your paycheck on a pre-tax basis.
- Direct-billed voluntary benefits, including auto and home insurance, pet insurance and ID theft protection, are also available for enrollment year-round!
Quality of Life
The City recognizes that a career is only one part of a healthy lifestyle. City employees enjoy 12 paid holidays per year and offers various types of leave based on an employee’s needs. We offer a vacation policy based on pay grade and tenure, up to five weeks. Employees have the possibility of direct deposit as well as deductions for life’s needs such as dependent care, medical services, transportation, etc.
- Save monies on your flexible spending account at an amount designated by the employee each year. These savings are deducted from employees’ pay prior to the calculation of taxes which results in additional savings for the employee.
- Employees accrue sick time which provides for potential illnesses.
The City of Worcester recognizes that employees have the talent to grow in their jobs and their careers, and educational opportunities are a great way to do so. The City offers a tuition waiver program that lowers the cost of attendance for certain courses at local institutions including Anna Maria College, Assumption University, Worcester Polytechnic Institute and Worcester State University. Employees who meet the institution’s entry requirements have the opportunity to take one course each semester for a reduced fee. For certain specialized positions, the City will also cover the cost of professional training or professional memberships necessary for the completion of the job.
- Registration will be on a space available basis, as determined by the individual colleges.
The City of Worcester is part of the Massachusetts pension system, which means that after ten years of employment a worker can secure a guaranteed income for life as well as post-employment health care benefits. The City’s plan is portable within the Massachusetts system, meaning time earned with other state and local governmental entities, as well as Federal military service, can contribute to your tenure.
The City also connects employees to pre-tax, self-funded defined contribution plans for those looking to enhance their retirement with investment earnings.
Recent Job Postings
SENIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE
ASSISTANT CITY SOLICITOR, HEAD LITIGATOR
View All Positions
The City of Worcester is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. The City of Worcester assures that every individual shall have equal access to all City employment opportunities. The City is all inclusive and will not discriminate on the basis of disability, gender identity & expression, sexual orientation, race, age, color, religious creed, national origin, genetic information, ancestry, military service or source of income.