There’s no cream in this Creamy Pumpkin Polenta. Instead, this polenta is made with pumpkin puree, Pecorino Romano, and a pinch of nutmeg – and it’s delightful.
Creamy Pumpkin Polenta
I love creamy polenta and wanted to try a pumpkin version by mixing some puree into it. I was planning on adding cream or cream cheese, but it turned out so creamy without it I left it out. This super simple recipe, made with basic pantry ingredients, is the perfect cozy comfort side dish. Serve it topped with roasted veggies or your favorite sauce, like this Slow Cooker Beef Ragu or Slow Cooker Bolognese.
What is polenta made from?
Polenta is an Italian dish made from ground yellow cornmeal. It’s similar to grits, but grits are typically made from white corn.
Creamy Polenta Ingredients:
- Polenta: Cook the cornmeal in salted water.
- Butter: All you need is two tablespoons of unsalted butter.
- Pumpkin: Use a half cup of canned or homemade pumpkin puree.
- Cheese: You can swap Pecorino Romano for parmesan if you prefer.
- Nutmeg: Just a pinch pulls this whole dish together.
How to Make Creamy Pumpkin Polenta from Scratch
- Boil salted water in a large pot. Slowly add the polenta to the boiling water, whisking it while you add it to prevent any lumps from forming.
- Simmer and Stir: Lower the heat and add the butter. Whisk the polenta until it starts to thicken. Cover the pot and cook the polenta for 25 to 30 minutes, occasionally stirring so the polenta doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Flavor: Stir in the cheese, pumpkin, and nutmeg. Taste for salt and add more if needed.
What should I serve with pumpkin polenta?
This fall polenta recipe is the perfect side for roasted meats and vegetables. You can also top it with a rich homemade ragu, braised meat, or beef stew.
More Pumpkin Recipes You’ll Love:
Your comments are helpful! If you’ve tried this healthy Creamy Pumpkin Polenta recipe or any other on Skinnytaste, don’t forget to rate the recipe and Leave me a comment below. And if you took a photo of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can reshare on my Stories!
Creamy Pumpkin Polenta
There’s no cream in this Creamy Pumpkin Polenta. Instead, this polenta is made with pumpkin puree, Pecorino Romano, and a pinch of nutmeg.
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup yellow polenta or medium ground cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup canned or homemade pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- pinch of nutmeg
Heat salted water to a boil over high heat in a heavy-bottomed 2 or 3 quart pot.
Slowly add the polenta into the boiling water, whisking while you add it to prevent any lumps from forming.
Lower the heat to a very low simmer and add the butter.
Continue to whisk the polenta until it starts to thicken. Then cover the pan and let the polenta cook for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon so the polenta doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
The polenta should be soft and tender when done. If not, let it cook a few minutes longer.
Add the pumpkin, Pecorino cheese and nutmeg, stir it into the polenta.
Taste for salt as needed.
Serving: 2/3 cup, Calories: 133kcal, Carbohydrates: 14g, Protein: 3g, fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 14mg, Sodium: 275mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 1g
Keywords: canned pumpkin recipes, fall side dish, polenta