Grilled chicken tacos piled high with a simple lettuce-tomato slaw, avocado, and Cotija cheese on a charred tortilla are a quick weeknight dinner solution!
Grilled Chicken Tacos
We love taco Tuesdays in my house, and I’m not talking about the tacos that come in a kit! Instead, I make all kinds of tacos from scratch, from fish tacos and slow cooker chicken and black bean tacos and even turkey taco lettuce wraps. See more chicken breast recipes here!
These grilled chicken tacos are a wonderful addition to our taco rotation. They’re perfect for grilling outside now that the weather is so warm. They’re very simple to make, so I like to cook them if I’m short on time. I set all the fixings out on the table and let everyone make their own. They’re a definite crowd-pleaser.
Lettuce Slaw Ingredients:
I love a simple lettuce slaw on these grilled chicken tacos. It basically a salad mixed together for one tasty topping. Below is what I put in my lettuce slaw:
- Veggies: Lettuce, tomato, red onion
- Sauce: Lime juice, olive oil
- Seasoning: Cilantro, salt, pepper
Variations and Tips:
- If you do not want to buy seasoned salt, you can use a mix of salt, chili powder, paprika, red pepper, and garlic powder to season the chicken.
- If you’d prefer a spicier dish, add sliced jalapeno or serrano pepper to the slaw.
- Swap lettuce for cabbage.
- If you can’t find cotija, sub it with feta.
- If you prefer to skip the tortillas, just turn this dish into a big salad. You can also use low-carb or whole wheat tortillas instead of corn.
- Double or triple this taco recipe if you want to feed a crowd.
- If you do not have an outdoor grill, no worries! A grill pan or skillet will also work.
More Taco Recipes You’ll Love:
Grilled Chicken Tacos with Lettuce Slaw, Avocado and Cotija
Grilled chicken tacos piled high with a lettuce-tomato slaw, avocado, and Cotija cheese all served on a charred tortilla. A quick weeknight dinner solution!
For the chicken:
- 16 oz 4 thin sliced boneless chicken breast cutlets
- 1 1/4 tsp seasoned salt, I used Lawry’s Fire Roasted Chili & Garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lime juice
For the taco:
- 2 1/2 cups 4 oz shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup 1 medium vine ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 loose cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup thin sliced red onion1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- pinch fresh black pepper
- 8 corn tortillas
- 4 tbsp crumbled Cotija cheese
- 5 ounces sliced, avocado
- thinly sliced radishes, for garnish (optional)
- 4 lime wedges, for serving
Season chicken with seasoned salt, olive oil and lime juice and marinate for at least an hour.
Heat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan on medium-high heat.
Oil the grates and grill for about 2 minutes. Turn and cook an additional 1 minute, or until cooked through. Set aside on a cutting board and slice into thin strips.
While the chicken is cooking, in a large work bowl mix the lettuce, tomato, cilantro, onions, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Set aside.
On the grill heat tortillas, turning till they slightly char, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side.
Design your taco. Add chicken, lettuce, avocado and top with cotija cheese and radishes if desired, serve with lime wedges.
Serving: 2tacos, Calories: 330kcal, Carbohydrates: 22g, Protein: 33g, Fat: 16g, Cholesterol: 83mg, Sodium: 697mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 2g
WW Points Plus: 9
Keywords: chicken breast tacos, chicken tacos, Grilled Chicken Tacos, Grilled Chicken Tacos with Lettuce Slaw, Avocado and Cotija, healthy chicken tacos