Possible uses for hesperidin may include improving conditions such as hemorrhoids, varicose veins, poor circulation (venous stasis), and poor circulation
Hesperidin is a bioflavonoid, a type of plant chemical commonly found in citrus fruits such as oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit, and tangerines. It can also be found in peppermint.
Hesperidin may be good for helping blood vessels function better and for reducing inflammation. It may be effective for conditions such as:
- Varicose veins
- Poor circulation (venous stasis)
- Poor circulation that can cause the legs to swell (chronic venous insufficiency or CVI)
There are claims that hesperidin may be good for high cholesterol and weight loss in obese people, but there is no research that has shown it to be effective for these conditions.
What Are Side Effects of Hesperidin?
When taken orally, hesperidin is generally safe. Side effects of hesperidin may include:
What Are Drug Interactions of Hesperidin?
Hesperidin may interact with some medications, such as:
- Celiprolol (Celicard)
- Diltiazem (Cardizem)
- Medications for high blood pressure such as nifedipine (Adalat, Procardia), verapamil (Calan, Isoptin, Verelan), diltiazem (Cardizem), isradipine (DynaCirc), felodipine (Plendil), and amlodipine (Norvasc)
- P-Glycoprotein substrates such as etoposide, paclitaxel, vinblastine, vincristine, vindesine, ketoconazole, itraconazole, amprenavir, indinavir, nelfinavir, saquinavir, cimetidine, ranitidine, diltiazem, verapamil, corticosteroids, erythromycin, cisapride (Propulsid), fexofenadine (Allegra), cyclosporine, loperamide (Imodium), and quinidine
- Anticoagulants/antiplatelet drugs
- Sedatives (CNS depressants) such as pentobarbital (Nembutal), phenobarbital (Luminal), secobarbital (Seconal), thiopental (Pentothal), fentanyl (Duragesic, Sublimaze), morphine, and propofol (Diprivan)
- Verapamil (Calan)
Tell your doctor all the medications you use. Do not stop any of your other medications unless instructed to do so by your doctor.
Reviewed on 8/23/2022
Image source: iStock Images