Like potato pancakes but with fewer carbs, these savory Zucchini Pancakes are the perfect side dish with grilled chicken or steak.
My garden is always overflowing with zucchini this time of year. One of the best ways to use them is to make these easy Zucchini Pancakes. The batter is easy to whip up, and they cook in minutes. Some of my other favorite zucchini recipes are these Savory Zucchini Waffles, Zucchini and Feta Fritters, and Crustless Zucchini Pie.
Zucchini Pancakes Ingredients
- Zucchini: Measure two cups of grated zucchini from about two medium zucchinis.
- Shallots: Finely chop two shallots.
- Herbs: Chop fresh parsley and chives.
- Eggs: You’ll need two large eggs.
- Cheese: Use a quarter cup of grated parmesan.
- Flour: Use six to eight tablespoons of whole wheat flour.
How to Make Zucchini Pancakes
1. Grate the zucchini using the large holes of a cheese grater and squeeze out the excess liquid. Place it in a large bowl.
2. Make the Pancake Batter: Mix the flour, shallots, garlic, herbs, eggs, cheese, salt, and pepper with the zucchini. If the batter is too wet, add more flour, one tablespoon at a time.
3. Cook the Pancakes: Heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray with oil. Drop tablespoons of batter into the pan and cook for about two minutes on each side until golden brown. Set aside and repeat the process with the remaining batter.
Why do my zucchini fritters fall apart?
Here are some tips to ensure your savory zucchini pancakes hold together.
- Too Much Liquid: Zucchinis are 95% water, so squeezing out the extra liquid before making these fritters is essential. If your batter looks too wet and isn’t thick enough, add more flour.
- Not Hot Enough: If your skillet isn’t hot enough, the pancakes can stick to the pan. Before adding the batter to the skillet, make sure that the pan is heated to medium and then spray it with oil to prevent sticking.
- Zucchini: Use yellow squash instead of zucchini. If zucchini isn’t in season, try these Cauliflower Fritters.
- Flour: Substitute white whole wheat or all-purpose flour.
- Gluten-Free Zucchini Pancakes: Swap wheat flour for gluten-free, like Cup4Cup.
- Shallots: Sub red onion.
- Herbs: Swap either of the herbs for fresh basil, dill, or tarragon.
- Cheese: Sub shredded cheddar cheese for parmesan, or if you’re allergic, omit the cheese.
What to Serve with Zucchini Pancakes
These healthy zucchini pancakes are the best side dish during the summer. They go great with grilled fish, chicken, and steak. And for some other sides to pair with them, try this Grilled Corn Salad, Watermelon Feta Salad, or Veggie Kabobs.
How to Store Zucchini Pancakes
Zucchini fritters will last up to four days in the refrigerator. To reheat them, warm them in a skillet or pop them in the toaster. You can also freeze them for up to three months.
More Zucchini Recipes You’ll Love
Grate zucchini using the large holes of a cheese grater and measure two cups. Dry it out by putting the zucchini on a clean dish towel or paper towels and squeezing. Then place it in a large bowl.
Add flour, shallots, garlic, parsley, chives, eggs, cheese and season with salt and pepper.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray oil to cover the pan.
Drop tablespoons of the batter into the skillet. Cook about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Set aside and keep warm.
Spray more oil in the skillet as needed, and continue with the remaining batter. Makes about 10 to 12 pancakes.
Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Calories: 120 kcal, Carbohydrates: 14 g, Protein: 7.5 g, fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 97 mg, Sodium: 134.5 mg, Fiber: 3 g, Sugar: 2.5 g