These quesadillas are both bursting with flavor AND easy to make! Perfect for busy weeknights, this is a Mexican dish the family will love.
↓ Jump to Recipe
If you like flavor then I’ve got you covered! Quesadillas are super simple to make, and I love this tasty variation. The leftovers are even good cold or warm and would beat a boring sandwich for lunch any day. Serve with a side of watermelon or cantaloupe, and this easy weeknight dinner is ready in no time!
How Do You Get Quesadillas to Stick Together?
The secret trick is adding cheese below and on top of the filling so the tortillas have something to stick to!
What Is the Best Cheese to Add to Quesadillas?
For this recipe, I use a mixture of Monterey Jack cheese and Queso Fresco, or all Jack (it won’t stick together as well with only Queso Fresco). You want to use cheese that will give you a good “stretch” when melted. You can also use sharp cheddar, too.
- Olive oil – I recommend finding an organic extra-virgin olive oil
- Onion – thinly sliced
- Poblano pepper – cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- Red pepper – cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- Jalapeno – cored, seeded, and diced
- Chorizo sausage –raw, ground (or links with casings removed)
- Corn tortillas – I recommend making homemade
- Cheese – either a mixture of Monterey Jack and Queso Fresco, or all Jack (it won’t stick together as well with only Queso Fresco)
- Butter – for frying the quesadillas
How Do I Make Quesadillas?
Quesadillas are so easy to make! First cook your veggies and meat in a skillet over medium heat.
Then place the tortilla in the same skillet and top with cheese, meat, the pepper mixture, and a little more cheese, then add a second tortilla on top and fry until the cheese starts to melt. Flip over and cook until the cheese melts on the other side.
What Side Dish to Serve with Quesadillas?
Since these Chorizo and Poblano Quesadillas are so flavorful and hearty, I recommend serving them with just a side of fresh fruit. However, you can go all out with any of the following for a full Mexican-inspired meal: