Dust off that waffle iron and make these savory zucchini waffles! It’s easy, super delicious, and a great way to use summer zucchini.
Savory Zucchini Waffles
I grow zucchini in my garden every summer, and I am always looking for new zucchini recipes to use them up. Someone recently asked me for a Savory Zucchini Waffle Recipe, so I made my zucchini tots into waffles. They turned out amazing! I love how the edges brown and get crisp in the mini waffle iron. They only have six ingredients and are a great side dish to get your family to eat their veggies. I also have these savory Zucchini Pancakes if you don’t have a waffle maker.
Is zucchini good for you?
Zucchini contains vitamins A, C, and K, manganese, and antioxidants. The high water and fiber content can aid digestion and “may improve heart health.”
Zucchini Waffle Ingredients
- Zucchini: Grate one medium zucchini until you have a packed cup. Squeeze out the excess liquid, using a dish towel or paper towels.
- Eggs: You’ll need one large egg.
- Onions: Mince a quarter of a medium onion.
- Cheese: Use shredded sharp cheddar or dairy-free cheddar, like Violife.
- Panko: For gluten-free zucchini waffles, use gluten-free panko.
- Kosher Salt to season
How to Make Savory Waffles
- Make the Waffle Batter: Combine all the zucchini waffle ingredients in a bowl.
- Cook the Waffles: Heat a mini Dash waffle iron and spray with oil once hot.
- Add batter: Add 1/4 cup of the zucchini mixture and spread it around.
- Cook until browned. Close the iron and cook until the light shuts off and the edges are golden brown. Set aside and keep warm while repeating the process with the remaining batter.
- Zucchini: Swap zucchini with yellow squash.
- Cheese: Substitute shredded parmesan, feta cheese, or mozzarella for cheddar.
- Onions: Sub shallots or red onion.
- Herbs: Add fresh herbs, like chives, dill, or parsley.
- Spices: Season them with garlic powder, paprika, or any other of your favorite spices.
- Waffle Iron: You can use a regular-size waffle maker if you don’t have a mini one.
What to Serve with Zucchini Waffles
These easy zucchini waffles would pair well with any protein. Below are some main dish ideas, plus some side dishes to round out the meal. And if you want to top them with something, you could put a fried egg on these savory waffles.
How to Store Zucchini Waffles
Refrigerate leftover zucchini waffles for up to four days or freeze them for three months. To reheat, pop them in the toaster.
More Zucchini Recipes You Will Love
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 2 zucchini waffles
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
Heat the waffle iron, when hot spray with oil and add 1/4 cup of the zucchini mixture and spread around.
Close the iron and cook until the light shuts off and the edges are golden brown.
Set aside and keep warm while repeating with the remaining batter and olive oil spray.
Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Serving: 2 zucchini waffles, Calories: 75 kcal, Carbohydrates: 6.5 g, Protein: 4.5 g, fat: 3.5 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 54 mg, Sodium: 212.5 mg, Fiber: 1 g, Sugar: 2 g